2. First Indian Governor of Reserve Bank of India : C D Deshmukh
3. Reserve Bank of India was established in : 1st April 1935
4. RBI was nationalised in : 1st January 1949
5. RBI was formed according to the recommendation of : Royal Commission (Hilton -Young Commission)
6. First headquarters of RBI was at : Kolkata
7. Present Head Quarters of RBI is at : Mumbai (from 1937)
8. RBI has its offices in 31 locations
9. Offices of RBI situated in Kerala is at Thiruvananthapuram and Cochin
10. Which bank is known as bankers bank : Reserve Bank of India
Main Functions of Reserve Bank of India
1. Issue of Currency Notes: Reserve Bank is the only bank in India which have the right to print and issue currency notes of various denominations except one rupee note.
2. Banker to Government : RBI acts as a banker to both Central and State Governments. RBI also acts as agent and advisor to Government on matters related to monetary and economic policies.
3. Bankers Bank : RBI acts as Banker to other commercial bank. i.e its lends to other banks after charging a particular rate of interest. Also other banks keeps part of their deposit with RBI for which RBI pays interest.
4. Controller of Credit : RBI ensures that there is sufficient flow of credit in the country.
5. Custodian of Foreign Exchange : RBI buys and sell foreign currencies for keeping the foreign exchange stable.
|1||Osborne Smith||01-04-1935 to 30-06-1937|
|2||James Braid Taylor||01-07-1937 to 17-02-1943|
|3||C. D. Deshmukh||11-08-1943 to 30-05-1949|
|4||Benegal Rama Rau||01-07-1949 to 14-01-1957|
|5||K. G. Ambegaonkar||14-01-1957 to 28-02-1957|
|6||Haravu Venkatanarasimha Varadaraja Iyengar (H V R Iyengar)||01-03-1957 to 28-02-1962|
|7||P. C. Bhattacharya||01-03-1962 to 30-06-1967|
|8||Lakshmi Kant Jha||01-07-1967 to 03-05-1970|
|9||B. N. Adarkar||04-05-1970 to 15-06-1970|
|10||Sarukkai Jagannathan||16-06-1970 to 19-05-1975|
|11||N. C. Sen Gupta||19-05-1975 to 19-08-1975|
|12||K R Puri||20-08-1975 to 02-05-1977|
|13||M. Narasimham||03-05-1977 to 30-11-1977|
|14||I G Patel||01-12-1977 to 15-09-1982|
|15||Manmohan Singh||16-09-1982 to 14-01-1985|
|16||Amitav Ghosh||15-01-1985 to 04-02-1985|
|17||R. N. Malhotra||04-02-1985 to 22-12-1990|
|18||S. Venkitaramanan||22-12-1990 to 21-12-1992|
|19||C. Rangarajan||22-12-1992 to 21-11-1997|
|20||Bimal Jalan||22-11-1997 to 06-09-2003|
|21||Y. Venugopal Reddy||06-09-2003 to 05-09-2008|
|22||Duvvuri Subbarao||05-09-2008 to 04-09-2013|
|23||Raghuram Rajan||04-09-2013 to 04-09-2016|
|24||Urjit Patel||04-09-2016 to 11-12-2018|
|25||Shaktikanta Das||12-12-2018 to|